Now the fun part begins!
By now you should have received your BMO World Elite credit card.
If you haven’t, follow up with BMO.
Here are the next steps.
Unlocking the signup bonus with the required minimum spend
It’s very important to make sure you achieve this, so plan ahead!
- You have only 3 months to reach your card’s minimum spend
- You need to spend $3,000
- Important note: your 3 months start when you were approved, not when you received the card, so be careful
- Another important note: the $150 card fee (that will be credited later) does not count towards the $3,000: you need to have $3,000 of actual expenses
- There is no second chance: if you miss it, say goodbye to your Points and free travel
- Make a plan to reach the entire amount
Tips to reach the minimum amount
- Use your card for all your regular expenses
- If you have relatives who don’t use a credit card or aren’t interested by Travel Hacking, ask them if you can put their expenses on your card to help you reach the minimum spend
- Pre-pay for your regular expenses as a last resort (by purchasing gift cards for the stores you shop with your new credit card)
Old credit cards
Many are eager to know what to do with their old card. The important thing is to not cancel it.
Why? Because the length of your open credit files is important for your credit score (the older they are, the better).
And having multiple credit cards is good for your credit score, not bad (contrary to popular belief).
So here’s what to do with your old card (or your old cards):
- If it has no fee: don’t even think about it and just put it in your sock drawer if you don’t want to carry it anymore. If it does not have a fee, don’t do anything
- If it has a fee: almost all banks will allow you to downgrade your card to a no-fee card and maintain the credit history. Just call, tell them you’d like to keep the credit line open, but on a card with no annual fee
- If that doesn’t work, send us a message (but it should)
Introduction to your credit card
The next step in the program in early January will be to help you get to know your new card and all of its benefits.
But many are eager to learn more right away, so here’s a quick overview:
- Your card earns 3X Points on travel, restaurants and entertainment
- Your card earns 2X Points on everything else, so prioritize bonus categories (more details in the next step)
- You now have access to many World Elite travel perks
- You can now subscribe to a free Lounge Key membership for airport lounges (you get 4 free passes)
- You are now covered for free with many types of insurance (for flight delays for example) by using your card to buy your ticket
- This includes 21 days of free medical travel insurance (if you are under 65)
- You’ll soon have over 41,000 BMO Points to get free travel
- More details to come in January
First Q&A Session
You’re probably busy during the holiday season, but right after, you’re invited to our first Q&A video session for very general questions about the start of the program:
- It will be on Sunday, January 6 at 1PM (if you can’t be there, don’t worry you’ll be able to watch it after)
- If you have any questions, send them in advance to firstname.lastname@example.org and put “VIDEO” as the title of the email please
- We’ll send you the connexion details about a week before. Yes, we are working for you during the holidays 😉
Summary of your December tasks
- Get as close as possible to reaching your minimum spend
- Make a plan to complete it before your 3 month deadline
- Mark your agenda for January 6 at 1PM if you want to attend
- Send us your questions with “VIDEO” in the title of the email
Happy Holidays from Kevin & Andrew, we hope you get to spend some quality time. Enjoy it and see you on January 6th!