We’ve talked a lot about regular (“personal” or “consumer”) credit cards, but there are also a few cards for small businesses. Those issued by American Express offer some of the most valuable welcome bonuses in Canada (like with regular cards), and they are available to anyone who has any type (and any amount) of independent income or side income.
In short, if you have any income that isn’t from an employee salary, you can get these credit cards for businesses. That means that entrepreneurs, freelancers, self-employed workers, etc. have even more potential to earn free travel! You simply enter your full name as the legal name of your business in the application.
No, contrary to the widespread myth, to get an AMEX small business card, you do not need to be incorporated as a business and you do not even need to be self-employed full-time. You could occasionally resell merchandise online for example.
The welcome bonuses for business credit cards are very high, but some of them come with higher minimum spend requirements than regular consumer cards. So that’s sometimes the main obstacle, as it can be a bit more difficult to reach them, even with our tips.
The best AMEX small business cards in Canada
Here are the 3 best AMEX small business cards worth considering at the moment:
Marriott Bonvoy™ Business American Express® Card (≈ $795 in free travel)
Why the Marriott Bonvoy™ Business Card is great:
- Welcome Bonus: 105,000 Marriott Points after spending $5,000 in 3 months
- Flytrippers Valuation of the offer: ≈ $795 in free travel
- Points: can only be used for Marriott hotels (or transferred to airlines)
- Bonus earn rate: 5 points per dollar (≈ 4.5% back) on Marriott hotels
- Bonus earn rate: 3 points per dollar (≈ 2.7% back) on gas, dining, and travel
Regular earn rate: 2 points per dollar (≈ 1.8% back) everywhere else
- Annual free night certificate for a luxury hotel after each card renewal
The best option for those who want more Marriott Points and on more very valuable free night certificate.
Apply for the Marriott Bonvoy™ Business American Express® Card
Details of the free ≈ $795:
- $585 welcome bonus (65,000 Marriott points at ≈ 0.9¢ per point)
- $225 bonus earn rate on minimum spend on food or grocery store gift cards ($5,000 at 5 pts/$)
- $135 renewal bonus on month 14 (any purchase will unlock it)
- ($150) card fee (deducted)
- ≈ $795 in free travel with the Marriott Bonvoy™ Business Card
American Express Business Edge™ Card (≈$495 in free travel)
Why the AMEX Business Edge™ Card is great:
- Welcome Bonus: 45,000 AMEX MR Select Points after spending $5,000 in 3 months
- Worth: $451 in free travel (AMEX Points) or ≈$495 in free travel (Marriott transfer)
- Points: a simple fixed-value travel credit for any travel expense (or Marriott points)
- Bonus earn rate: 3 points per dollar (3% – ≈3.2% back) on eats & drinks, rides & gas, and office supplies & electronics
- Regular earn rate: 1 point per dollar (1% – ≈1.1% back) everywhere else
- Additional spend bonus of 1,000 Points per month if you spend $3,000/month (the first year)
This is the best option for those who want an easy travel credit and the best overall value. And the best overall earn rate too. You can also transfer these points to Marriott at a 1:1.2 ratio for even more potential value.
Apply for the American Express Business Edge™ Card
Details of the free ≈$495 (when transferred to Marriott):
- $486 welcome bonus (45,000 AMEX points at 1.08¢ per point)
- $108 earn rate on minimum spend ($5,000 at 2 pts per dollar)
- ($99) card fee
- $495 in free travel with the Business Edge™ Card
Details of the free $451 (as a simple fixed-value travel credit):
- $450 welcome bonus (45,000 AMEX Select points at 1¢ per point)
- $100 earn rate on minimum spend ($5,000 at 2 pts per dollar)
- ($99) card fee
- $451 in free travel with the Business Edge™ Card
American Express® Business Gold Rewards Card (≈ $575 in free travel)
Why the AMEX Business Gold Rewards Card is great:
- Welcome Bonus: 50,000 AMEX MR Points after spending $5,000 in 3 months
- Worth: ≈$575 in free travel
- Points: transferrable to Aeroplan 1-to-1, or lower value simple travel credit
- Regular earn rate: 1 point per dollar (≈1.5% back) everywhere
- Bonus earn rate: 2 points per dollar (≈3% back) on 3 suppliers chosen among a list
- Plastiq is one of the suppliers, for a high potential of Aeroplan Miles
The best option for those who want more Aeroplan points. And for those who have a lot of expenses that aren’t normally payable with credit cards (as you can pay them with Plastiq and earn points profitably).
Apply for the American Express® Business Gold Rewards Card
Details of the free ≈$575:
- $750 welcome bonus (50,000 AMEX points at ≈1.5¢ per point)
- $75 earn rate on minimum spend ($5,000 at 1 pt per dollar)
- ($250) card fee
- $575 in free travel with the AMEX Business Gold Rewards Card
Want to get more content about travel rewards points?
Sign up for our travel rewards newsletter
The American Express small business cards are a great way to earn even more travel rewards points.
Have any questions about AMEX small business cards? Ask us in the comments below.
Explore awesome destinations: travel inspiration
Learn pro tricks: travel tips
Discover free travel: travel rewards
Featured image: coworking space (photo credit: Shridhar Gupta)
Advertiser Disclosure: In the interest of transparency, Flytrippers may receive a commission on links featured in this post, at no cost to you. Thank you for using our links to support us for free, we appreciate it! You allow us to keep finding the best travel deals for free and to keep offering interesting content for free. Since we care deeply about our mission to help travelers and our reputation and credibility prevail over everything, we will NEVER recommend a product or service that we do not believe in or that we do not use ourselves, and we will never give any third-party any control whatsoever on our content. For more information on our advertiser disclosure, click here.
Share this post to help us help more people travel more for less: