American Express® Aeroplan®* Card
Summary of Flytrippers' review
WHY GET THIS CARD
- The great welcome bonus with a net value of ≈ $510
- The valuable Aeroplan points
- The lower Aeroplan prices on Air Canada for cardholders
- The free checked bag on Air Canada and the other benefits
- The few insurance coverages included
A great card for valuable points.
WHO SHOULD GET THIS CARD
- Those who want Aeroplan points that are a little more complex, but much more valuable
- Those who can spend $3,000 in 6 months (equivalent to ≈ $115 per week; 6 months = 26 weeks, not 24)
Welcome bonus (11 separate bonuses)
3,000 points Bonus after spending $1,000 in the month (every month for 10 months)
10,000 points Bonus after renewing the card
40,000 points Total with the 11 parts of the bonus
Earn on the minimum spending requirement
10,000 points Minimum earn on the minimum spending requirement of $1,000/month for 10 months (at the base earn rate of 1 pt/$)
Total rewards by unlocking the welcome bonus
50,000 points Welcome bonus + earn on the minimum spending requirement to unlock it
Flytrippers Valuation of the welcome bonus
≈ $450 Monthly bonus for spending $1,000/month for 10 months (30,000 pts at ≈ 1.5¢/pt)
≈ $150 Earn on the minimum spend (10,000 pts at ≈ 1.5¢/pt)
–$120 Card fee Year 1 (Deducted from Flytrippers Valuation)
≈ $150 Renewal bonus (10,000 pts at ≈ 1.5¢/pt)
–$120 Card fee Year 2 (Deducted from Flytrippers Valuation)
≈ $510 in net value with the welcome bonus alone
(that’s 5% back on the spending requirement of $1,000 per month for 10 months)
Rewards from welcome bonus
You will have 50,000 Aeroplan points after unlocking the welcome bonus.
That gives you:
- ≈ $750 in rewards at the Flytrippers Valuation
Concrete examples of redemptions
Here are some of the actual redemptions you can get with these rewards:
8 one-way short-distance reward flights such as Montreal-New York or Montreal-Washington
5 one-way medium-distance reward flights such as Montreal-Miami or Montreal-Nashville
4 one-way longer distance reward flights such as Montreal-Costa Rica or Montreal-Mexico
1 one-way business class reward flight such as Vancouver-Japan or Montreal-Switzerland
6 one-way short-distance reward flights in several regions of the world
≈ $550 discount on Air Canada flights without having to be flexible or having to choose specific flights
2 points per $ (≈ 3%) on Air Canada purchases
1.5 points per $ (≈ 2.25%) on dining and food delivery apps
1 point per $ (≈ 1.5%) everywhere else
‣Learn more about credit card earn rates (coming soon)
Earning with additional cards
Fee for additional cards: $0 without Air Canada benefits / $50 with Air Canada benefits
Minimum age: 13 years old
‣Learn more about additional cards (coming soon)
Preferred pricing for Aeroplan flights on Air Canada
Cardmembers get slightly lower prices when redeeming Aeroplan points for reward flights on Air Canada (not partner airlines).
‣Learn more about Aeroplan preferred pricing (coming soon)
Free checked bag on Air Canada
Cardmembers get the 1st checked bag free on Air Canada flights (as do up to 8 travel buddies on the same booking).
‣Learn more about the free bag benefit (coming soon)
Amex Offers program
Access to discounts, credits, and special offers throughout the year.
American Express Experiences program
Access to exclusive virtual and in-person experiences and pre-sale tickets to lots of events.
‣Learn more about the American Express Experiences program (coming soon)
The Hotel Collection program
Benefits at top luxury hotels, such as a US$100 credit to use at the hotel and a free room upgrade.
‣Learn more about The Hotel Collection program (coming soon)
Flight delay insurance (4hrs; $500)
Baggage delay/loss insurance
Car rental insurance
Hotel burglary insurance
Purchase protection (90 days, $1,000)
Extended warranty (1 year)
‣Learn more about the American Express® Aeroplan®* Card’s insurance coverage (coming soon)
Insurance not included
Medical travel insurance
Trip cancelation insurance
Trip interruption insurance
Mobile device insurance
‣Learn more about the different types of insurance coverage (coming soon)
Aeroplan points can be used for specific flights to maximize their value (on partner airlines) or for any seat on any flight for to have more flexibilty (on Air Canada).
‣Learn more about the Aeroplan rewards program (coming soon)
Aeroplan points are variable-value rewards (the value depends on how you use them; our Flytrippers Valuation is ≈ 1.5¢).
‣Learn more about Aeroplan points (coming soon)
Aeroplan points never expire as long as you have the card. And even if you no longer have the card, you can easily extend the expiration indefinitely.
‣Learn more about Aeroplan points expiry (coming soon)
If you have travel companions, it’s possible to pool Aeroplan points into a shared account.
‣Learn more about pooling Aeroplan points (coming soon)
Aeroplan points cannot be transferred.
‣Learn more about Aeroplan point transfers (coming soon)
Other redemption options
Aeroplan points can be used for rewards other than flights but this should be avoided.
‣Learn more about why you should always use your rewards for travel (coming soon)
Rewards program logistics
You can use your points directly on the Air Canada website or app.
‣Learn more about how to get started with Aeroplan rewards (coming soon)
Rewards program summary
Rewards: Air Canada Aeroplan points
Type: Variable-value rewards
Subtype: “Standard” or “Dynamic” Rewards (depending on the airline)
Variety: Airline rewards
Flytrippers Valuation: ≈ 1.5¢ per point
Minimum value: None
Maximum value: Unlimited
‣Learn more about rewards programs basics (coming soon)
Minimum personal/household income: $0
Age: Majority in your province
Estimated credit score: Good or Excellent
Credit bureau: TransUnion
‣Learn more about credit card eligibility requirements (coming soon)
Welcome bonus eligibility
You must not have had the American Express® Aeroplan®* Card before
‣Learn more about credit card welcome bonus eligibility rules (coming soon)
Offer end date
Offers subject to change at any time
‣Subscribe to Flytrippers’ free travel rewards newsletter to get all card updates
Issuer: American Express
Network: American Express
Card Type: Charge card
Product Type: Personal card
‣Learn more about credit card types (coming soon)
Fees and rates
Card fee: $120/year
Fee for additional card: $0 (without Air Canada travel benefits) or $50 (with Air Canada travel benefits)
FX fee: 2.5%
Purchases annual interest rate: N/A
Funds advances annual interest rate: N/A
Balance transfer fee: N/A
‣Learn more about why Flytrippers recommends ignoring fees and rates (coming soon)
- New American Express® Aeroplan®* Cardmembers can earn up to 40,000 Aeroplan points:
- Earn 3,000 Aeroplan points for each monthly billing period in which you spend $1,000 in net purchases on your Card for the first 10 months of Cardmembership. That could add up to 30,000 Aeroplan points
- Plus, you can also earn 10,000 Aeroplan points when you make a purchase between 14 and 17 months of Cardmembership
- That’s up to $900 or more in value when you combine your welcome bonus points and card benefits
- Standard Earn Rate: Earn 2X the points on eligible purchases made directly with Air Canada®* and Air Canada vacations®*
- Standard Earn Rate: Earn 1.5X the points on eligible Dining and Food Delivery purchases in Canada
- Standard Earn Rate: Earn 1X the points on everything else
- Enjoy your first checked bag free (up to 23kg/50lb) for up to 9 people travelling on the same reservation on Air Canada®* flights
- Earn 1,000 Status Qualifying Miles and 1 Status Qualifying Segment for every $10,000 in eligible net purchases charged to your Card
- As an American Express Aeroplan Cardmember, you can often book flight rewards for even fewer points with preferred pricing
- American Express® Experiences: From music and movies, to specially curated dining and online shopping opportunities, stay connected with all that we have to offer from the comfort of your own home
- Enjoy an array of travel related insurance benefits such as Lost or Stolen Baggage Insurance and up to $500,000 in Travel Accident Insurance
- 24/7 Customer Service and Emergency Card Replacement
- As part of our commitment to sustainability, the American Express Aeroplan Card has been made with 70% reclaimed plastic
- No pre-set spending limit on purchases gives you flexibility. Using a charge card is a great way to manage your finances as the balance must be paid in full each month
- American Express is not responsible for maintaining or monitoring the accuracy of information on this website. For full details and current product information click the Apply now link. Conditions apply
Start earning rewards today
And make sure to download our free checklist for when you get a new card—it includes very important mistakes to avoid
(it will open in a separate tab, or you can click here)
via Amex secure application
This content is not sponsored. However, this page may contain some affiliate links that allow Flytrippers to earn a commission at absolutely no cost to you. Thank you for using our links and helping us keep all our content free for everyone. This helps us fulfill our mission of helping Canadians travel more for less.
The views and opinions expressed on this page are purely our own. They have not been provided, approved, endorsed, or ratified by any third party mentioned on the site.
Financial institutions are not responsible for updating or ensuring the accuracy of the information on Flytrippers’ website. All the information was independently collected by Flytrippers and not provided by financial institutions.
All offers described on the Flytrippers website are subject to the financial institutions’ latest terms and conditions, which can be found on their official website. No efforts are spared to ensure this page is up to date but offers from financial institutions change quickly. It is your responsibility to ensure the accuracy of these offers on their website. Flytrippers will not accept any responsibility for the accuracy of the offers or the result of your actions.
Flytrippers’ website does not contain all available credit card offers or all available credit card products on the market. In addition, Flytrippers never shares an offer if it is not considered advantageous for some travelers, at its sole discretion.
No author on Flytrippers’ website is a financial advisor, a financial planner, a legal professional, or a tax professional. No author on Flytrippers’ website can in any way be considered as such.
All articles, pages, and content on Flytrippers’ website are merely personal opinions of a general nature and are for informational purposes only and should not be considered advice for specific situations. It is your responsibility to perform your own personal research to ensure that travel rewards are appropriate for your own situation.