American Express® Aeroplan®* Reserve Card
Summary of Flytrippers' review
WHY GET THIS CARD
- Good welcome bonus of ≈ $301
- Very valuable Aeroplan points
- Unlimited access to Air Canada airport lounges (when flying AC or partners)
- Many Air Canada travel benefits
- Excellent travel insurance coverage
WHO SHOULD GET THIS CARD
- Those who want free access to Air Canada Maple Leaf Lounges
- Those who fly Air Canada often
Welcome bonus (9 separate bonuses)
7,500 points Bonus after spending $2,000 in the month (every month for 6 months)
*35,000 points Bonus after renewing and spending $6,000 between 13 and 16 months
*5,000 points Bonus for adding an additional card with fee and benefits (up to 2 cards)
*NOT INCLUDED IN OUR FLYTRIPPERS VALUATION
45,000 points Total with the 6 main parts of the bonus
*90,000 points Total with the 9 parts of the bonus
*NOT INCLUDED IN OUR FLYTRIPPERS VALUATION
Earn on the minimum spending requirement
15,000 points Minimum earn on the minimum spending requirement of $2,000/month for 6 months (at the base earn rate of 1.25 pts/$)
*7,500 points Minimum earn on the minimum spending requirement of $6,000 more for the renewal bonus
*NOT INCLUDED IN OUR FLYTRIPPERS VALUATION
Total rewards by unlocking the welcome bonus
60,000 points Main parts of the welcome bonus + earn on the minimum spending requirement to unlock it
*112,500 points Total welcome bonus + earn on the minimum spending requirement to unlock it
*NOT INCLUDED IN OUR FLYTRIPPERS VALUATION
Flytrippers Valuation of the welcome bonus
≈ $675 Monthly bonuses for 6 months (45,000 pts at ≈ 1.5¢/pt)
≈ $225 Earn on the required spending (15,000 pts at ≈ 1.5¢/pt)
–$599 Card fee (deducted)
≈ $301 in net value with the welcome bonus alone
(≈ 2.5% back on the minimum spending requirement of $2,000/month for 6 months)
Rewards from welcome bonus
You will have 60,000 Aeroplan points after unlocking the Welcome Bonus.
That gives you:
- ≈ $900 in rewards at the Flytrippers Valuation
Concrete examples of redemptions
Here are some of the actual redemptions you can get with these rewards:
10 one-way short-distance reward flights such as Montreal-New York or Montreal-Washington
6 one-way medium-distance reward flights such as Montreal-Miami or Montreal-Nashville
4 one-way longer distance reward flights such as Montreal-Costa Rica or Montreal-Mexico
1 one-way business class reward flights such as Vancouver-Japan or Montreal-Switzerland
7 one-way short-distance reward flights in several regions of the world
≈ $660 discount on Air Canada flights without having to be flexible or having to choose specific flights
3 points per $ (≈ 4.5%):
- Air Canada purchases
2 points per $ (≈ 3%):
- Food delivery apps
1.25 points per $ (≈ 1.875%):
- Everywhere else
‣Learn more about credit card earn rates (coming soon)
Earning with additional cards
Fee for additional cards: $0 without Air Canada travel benefits / $199 with Air Canada travel benefits
Minimum age: 13 years old
‣Learn more about additional cards (coming soon)
Air Canada Maple Leaf Lounge access
You get unlimited access to ML lounges in North America for you and 1 guest, but only when flying on Air Canada or a Star Alliance partner airline.
$100 NEXUS credit
A credit will appear if you charge a NEXUS fee to your card — and you should really have NEXUS if you don’t already.
‣Learn more about the Amex NEXUS credit (coming soon)
Priority boarding, baggage handling, and check-in
You get to skip many lines.
‣Learn more about the Aeroplan Reserve priority benefits (coming soon)
Preferred pricing for Aeroplan flights on Air Canada
Cardmembers get slightly lower prices when redeeming Aeroplan points for reward flights on Air Canada (not partner airlines).
‣Learn more about Aeroplan preferred pricing (coming soon)
Free checked bag on Air Canada
Cardmembers get the 1st checked bag free on Air Canada flights (as do up to 8 travel buddies on the same booking).
‣Learn more about the free bag benefit (coming soon)
Amex Offers program
Access to discounts, credits, and special offers throughout the year.
American Express Experiences program
Access to exclusive virtual and in-person experiences and pre-sale tickets to lots of events.
‣Learn more about the American Express Experiences program (coming soon)
The Hotel Collection program
Benefits at top luxury hotels, such as a US$100 credit to use at the hotel and a free room upgrade.
‣Learn more about The Hotel Collection program (coming soon)
Medical travel insurance
Flight delay insurance (4hrs; $1,000)
Baggage delay/loss insurance
Car rental insurance
Trip cancelation insurance
Trip interruption/delay insurance
Hotel burglary insurance
Purchase protection (90 days, $1,000)
Extended warranty (1 year)
‣Learn more about the American Express® Aeroplan®* Reserve Card’s insurance coverage (coming soon)
Insurance not included
Mobile device insurance
‣Learn more about the different types of insurance coverage (coming soon)
Aeroplan points can be used for specific flights to maximize their value (on partner airlines) or for any seat on any flight for to have more flexibilty (on Air Canada).
‣Learn more about the Aeroplan rewards program (coming soon)
Aeroplan points are variable-value rewards (the value depends on how you use them; our Flytrippers Valuation is ≈ 1.5¢).
‣Learn more about Aeroplan points (coming soon)
Aeroplan points never expire as long as you have the card. And even if you no longer have the card, you can easily extend the expiration indefinitely.
‣Learn more about Aeroplan points expiry (coming soon)
If you have travel companions, it’s possible to pool Aeroplan points into a shared account.
‣Learn more about pooling Aeroplan points (coming soon)
Aeroplan points cannot be transferred.
‣Learn more about Aeroplan point transfers (coming soon)
Other redemption options
Aeroplan points can be used for rewards other than flights but this should be avoided.
‣Learn more about why you should always use your rewards for travel (coming soon)
Rewards program logistics
You can use your points directly on the Air Canada website or app.
‣Learn more about how to get started with Aeroplan rewards (coming soon)
Rewards program summary
Rewards: Air Canada Aeroplan points
Type: Variable-value rewards
Subtype: “Standard” or “Dynamic” Rewards (depending on the airline)
Variety: Airline rewards
Flytrippers Valuation: ≈ 1.5¢ per point
Minimum value: None
Maximum value: Unlimited
‣Learn more about rewards programs basics (coming soon)
Minimum personal/household income: $0
Age: Majority in your province
Estimated credit score: Good or Excellent
Credit bureau: TransUnion
‣Learn more about credit card eligibility requirements (coming soon)
Welcome bonus eligibility
You must not have had the American Express® Aeroplan®* Reserve Card before
‣Learn more about credit card welcome bonus eligibility rules (coming soon)
Offer end date
Offers subject to change at any time
‣Subscribe to Flytrippers’ free travel rewards newsletter to get all card updates
Issuer: American Express
Network: American Express
Card Type: Credit card
Product Type: Personal card
‣Learn more about credit card types (coming soon)
Fees and rates
Card fee: $599/year
Fee for additional card: $0 without Air Canada travel benefits / $199 with Air Canada travel benefits
FX fee: 2.5%
Purchases annual interest rate: 20.99%
Funds advances annual interest rate: 21.99%
Balance transfer fee: N/A
‣Learn more about why Flytrippers recommends ignoring fees and rates (coming soon)
- New American Express® Aeroplan®* Reserve Cardmembers can earn up to 90,000 Aeroplan points
- Earn 5,000 Aeroplan points for each Additional Aeroplan®* Reserve Card with an annual fee added to your account at time of application, up to a maximum of 2 approved Additional Cards. That could add up to 10,000 Aeroplan points
- Plus, earn 7,500 Aeroplan points for each monthly billing period in which you spend $2,000 in net purchases on your Card for the first 6 months of Cardmembership. That could add up to 45,000 Aeroplan points
- You can also earn 35,000 Aeroplan points when you spend $6,000 in net purchases between 13 and 16 months of Cardmembership
- That’s up to $2,700 or more in value when you combine your welcome bonus points and card benefits.
- bonus points and card benefits
- Receive up to $100 CAD in statement credits every four years when a NEXUS application or renewal fee is charged to your American Express Aeroplan Reserve Card
- Highest Air Canada earn rate on an Aeroplan payment card in Canada: Earn 3X the points on eligible purchases made directly with Air Canada®* and Air Canada Vacations®*
- Standard Earn Rate: Earn 2X the points on eligible Dining and Food Delivery purchases in Canada
- Earn 2X the points on eligible purchases with Rocky Mountaineer®**. Plus, you could receive a Complimentary Hotel Room Category Upgrade, on the first and last night, and a Complimentary Upgrade from SilverLeaf to GoldLeaf class of service when you book directly with Rocky Mountaineer using your Aeroplan Reserve Card
- Standard Earn Rate: Earn 1.25X the points on everything else
- Get through the airport quicker with Air Canada Priority Check-In, Air Canada Priority Boarding and Air Canada Priority Baggage Handling
- Receive one Annual Worldwide Companion Pass when you spend $25,000 in net purchases prior to your Card anniversary date; your Pass entitles you to buy an accompanying Air Canada economy class ticket for a companion at a fixed base fare from $99 to a maximum of $599 CAD (plus taxes, fees, charges, and surcharges)
- Enjoy access to select Air Canada Maple Leaf LoungesTM* and Air Canada CaféTM in North America for you and a guest, with a same day ticket on a departing Air Canada or Star Alliance flight
- Enjoy your eligible first checked bag free for up to 9 people travelling on the same reservation on Air Canada flights
- Roll over any unallocated Aeroplan EliteTM* Status Qualifying Miles and unused eUpgrade Credits to the following year to enjoy during your travels
- American Express® Experiences opens doors for you to access a number of special events, including special dining experiences, VIP parties, advance film screenings and more
- Get more from your travel experience at Toronto Pearson International Airport with:
- Access to Pearson Priority Security Lane
- Complimentary valet service at the Express Park and Daily Park
- 15% discount on parking rates at the Express Park and Daily Park
- 15% discount on Car Care Services
- Get access to more than 1,200 Priority PassTM airport lounges and enjoy an oasis of comfort before your flight, regardless of your airline or cabin class
- Insurance Coverage: whether you’re shopping nearby or travelling abroad, you can feel confident knowing you can be taken care of
- American Express® Aeroplan®* Reserve Card is made from precision cut and engraved 13 g metal – it’s the perfect companion on your next exceptional journey
- American Express is not responsible for maintaining or monitoring the accuracy of information on this website. For full details and current product information click the Apply now link. Conditions apply
Start earning rewards today
And make sure to download our free checklist for when you get a new card—it includes very important mistakes to avoid
(it will open in a separate tab, or you can click here)
via Amex secure application
This content is not sponsored. However, this page may contain some affiliate links that allow Flytrippers to earn a commission at absolutely no cost to you. Thank you for using our links and helping us keep all our content free for everyone. This helps us fulfill our mission of helping Canadians travel more for less.
The views and opinions expressed on this page are purely our own. They have not been provided, approved, endorsed, or ratified by any third party mentioned on the site.
Financial institutions are not responsible for updating or ensuring the accuracy of the information on Flytrippers’ website. All the information was independently collected by Flytrippers and not provided by financial institutions.
All offers described on the Flytrippers website are subject to the financial institutions’ latest terms and conditions, which can be found on their official website. No efforts are spared to ensure this page is up to date but offers from financial institutions change quickly. It is your responsibility to ensure the accuracy of these offers on their website. Flytrippers will not accept any responsibility for the accuracy of the offers or the result of your actions.
Flytrippers’ website does not contain all available credit card offers or all available credit card products on the market. In addition, Flytrippers never shares an offer if it is not considered advantageous for some travelers, at its sole discretion.
No author on Flytrippers’ website is a financial advisor, a financial planner, a legal professional, or a tax professional. No author on Flytrippers’ website can in any way be considered as such.
All articles, pages, and content on Flytrippers’ website are merely personal opinions of a general nature and are for informational purposes only and should not be considered advice for specific situations. It is your responsibility to perform your own personal research to ensure that travel rewards are appropriate for your own situation.